View Single Post
      12-09-2022, 06:14 PM   #17
CTMP4me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4MC, '71 240Z with S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
letting off brakes a bit earlier, a little less trail braking, etc. What I noticed is the faster I come into the turn, the sooner I need to add steering input to help point the car to the apex.

What this does in effect is cause the rear end to want to suddenly kick out around mid corner where I'm holding maintenance throttle. It seems I have more than ample front end grip...

Toyo RR 255fr/295rear. My alignement is -3.6/-2.2 camber fr/rear, 0toe/-1/8" toe fr/rear.

My confidence is just not there knowing that the rear end is unpredictable on mid corner. The strange thing is she grips real well at corner exit with power.
You're rolling a lot more speed into the corner now, off throttle (presumably with a 1-way LSD = open), and it's snapping mid corner / at apex - tbh this seems to be more an issue of technique / driving style and not your setup. IMO your alignment is on point, you're running huge 40mm tire width stagger, and flat rake - contact patch and weight balance should favor rear traction.

On the car side of things I would try (in order):
- softer front rebound, softer rear compression (encourage weight transfer towards rear on accel)
- if this is a higher speed corner, add wing angle
- check that your LSD is working and has fresh fluid
- add 0.2-0.3 degrees more rear camber
- think about what "maintenance throttle" means for torque in your car. you could be having the same issue as early S55 cars that made huge torque at 2-3K rpm = hard to manage and be smooth at "maintenance throttle"

On driving style side:

You're doing the classic "turn in early with speed", you're getting exactly what that approach should give. Without seeing a video / throttle and brake traces, this isn't some performance coaching advice, but I would try to enter corner a bit slower, gentle brake release, roll it in off-throttle, use throttle to catch rear end if it steps out (off-throttle oversteer advice only lol). Don't use maintenance throttle please
Add trail braking into the mix as you get more comfortable with weight transfer and depending on corner speed (yes to low speed, generally no to >100 mph corners)
Appreciate 0