04-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
It's been 10k miles and my Continental Extreme Contact DW tires are about gone. I have one more track weekend in May and that will do them in. NCCAR is easy on brakes but hard on tires.....

I put them on in August of last year, drive the car almost everyday (55+ miles round trip) and have done five track weekends (10 days for those who won't count ). Current tire size is 235/40 & 265/35 on stock wheels.

I have approx. 4/32" on tread left. 2/32 until I hit the wear bars.

Even with -2.5' of camber in the front and -2.0' of camber in the rear, the wear across the tire is almost uniform. At most 1/32 less tread depth on the inner sides of the tires. I have been expecting more inner tire wear due to the camber. Wear between the front and rear tires are almost identical also.

Since I have not figured out how to take four 'track wheels' with me, I have to keep driving with what I came with.

I originally bought the Cont's primarily because the wet weather handling was almost as good as dry handling. I find myself always driving my truck when it is going to rain so that requirement has been lessened. I guess my original self assessment was flawed when setting up the requirements.....

Now to open up a can of worms and I am looking for opinions, plus I am increasing the size this time to 245/40 and 275/35.

My options are:
Stay with the Conti DW. $906
Switching to the StarSpec, but I don't like that move since they will wear out faster than the Conti's. $944

Currently also looking at these:
Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110. $640
VREDESTEIN Ultrac Sessanta. $825
General Exclaim UHP. $660
Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy tires. $750

The Firehawks caught my eye. Their performance is damn near identical to the DW, except in price.

I would love a set of the new Michelin's but $1300 for tires that I have to replace every 8 to 12 months is just not appealing..

I also have to buy a set of tires for the Roadster also.. Expensive week that will be.....
I have a little bit of time and a lot of research to do. Let the flames begin.

You should reallly consider the Yokohama AD08. Its the fastest tire on the track on tirerack test and I can attest to its speed! It brought me a first place finish during a timeattack last summer. I drove that tire all the way up from NJ to Toronto, destroyed that time attack and then drove all the way home on them. They performed perfectly! The wear has been outstanding too. These have wore way better then the Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position, contisports and PS1's. The only tire I have tried to have near the great wear characteristics is the Bridgestone RE-01R/RE-11. I actually think tires of the extreme performane class (AD-08, RE-01R, RE-11, Starspec) wear better for guys like us that track. In my thinking most of the wear for guys like us that track these tire comes from the track and not the street driving. The extreme performance tires hold up better under track driving since they are designed for it. I find them very easy to drive in the wet track/street and have no problems with them under 40 degrees. I have had them in the wet and mid 30s and they really where not a whole lot worse then the PS2

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR

Last edited by F360C; 04-26-2011 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0