View Single Post
      01-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Topshelf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi/'08 135i

What are your thoughts on this dash top Nav install?

Been thinking about adding the OEM Nav to my Z lately, but the cost is just crazy for what it is. So after a few days of researching portable units, I've been trying to figure out the cleanest install. Obviously I'd prefer it to look OEM, and I'd really rather not have to worry about hiding the unit all the time. So after some searching, I just found this 1 series dash storage bin that is sold overseas. There's a DIY install here. From the pics it looks pretty close to the size and shape of the Nav unit in the Z4, just doesn't have the lip which shouldn't be an issue if you move it back half an inch. For $85, this looks like it could be a really nice solution, hell, just having the storage bin would be nice. Anyway, just wondering if you guys think this could actually work, and how it would look. Since it's an OEM piece I thought it should blend right in...And someone already figured out how to make a GPS automatically glide up/down here.

Thoughts? I'm still trying to decide if doing this would be a big mistake. I mean realistically, when the time comes to sell the car it's just going to get traded in, and nobody at the dealership will even notice the storage bin even though it's not supposed to be there. At the same time, some extra storage in this car is never a bad thing and it should look OEM.
Appreciate 0