View Single Post
      11-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #46
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski View Post
I haven't found track maps to be too bad. Here is the video from Aim on how to do the maps . As a sidenote, this is a good webinar on how RS2 works .

When I make maps, I go Maps>New. Select the right course type, which for most tracks in the US is "closed." Then I select the "two wheels (speed and gyro)" and that gets the maps pretty close. Then use the "track shape" slider to get the shape perfect.

If people want, I'm more than happy to host a number of track maps.
Agree that it's easy to get the basic track shape--I found that along with the slider, rotating the map can help get the shape right. I just found it tedious to then break the track up accurately into its various corners and straights, and to do that in a way that jives with the conventional corner numbers for the track. That is, VIR has 17 official corners, and straights with bends in them, yet left to its own devices RaceStudio won't spit out anything that matches the conventional track composition. Having "Turn 14" in your data be the same "Turn 14" that people talk about conversationally seems like a good idea. But, then, once you get past the learning curve it won't be a big deal to do it for later tracks.

It's not a big deal, but I was thinking that having a map in advance of going to a new track could also be helpful in getting drivers saddled up for review and analysis faster. Might not be worth your time and effort, though.

I'll email my VIR map to you, for whatever it's worth.

Thanks, Matt!