View Single Post
      12-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #68
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

[QUOTE=sabbanick;10906583]On the solo DL is there an actually calibration mode that it goes into?

When I select it a screen briefly comes up stating its resetting it and thats it.
QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandysV10 View Post
The calibration is performed when you have the Solo connected to your laptop using RS2.
Randy--are you referring to telling the Solo, via the ECU configuration, that it needs to calculate the gears by going through the "driving around" calibration process which I've previously described, or do you mean that the Z4M ECU protocol that we're all pushing from RS2 to the Solo already contains the speed-rpm relationships needed to determine the gears, making the "driving around' process unnecessary? (Does that question even make sense? I pity the other guys reading this thread, who without having a Solo they're grappling with, wonder what the hell the four of us are talking about...)

If we do, indeed, still need to "drive around", I recall the Solo timing out of calibration mode very quickly--so find a deserted road where you can stop, put the Solo in calibration mode and immediately move off in 1st. Then, engage each gear for 5-6 seconds before you come to a stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbanick View Post
So under live recordings via the ONLINE tab in RS2 the gear data is coming up as ERROR. When I go into solo to reset the gear calibration, Rs2 is telling me that the USB driver is not updated ... seems like an easy fix, but the driver for USB is updated and I restarted to computer to be sure. Result is the same.

Randy did you finally get the Solo DL to read your gears?
Sitting here on the couch, I get the same "ERR" message, but mine has worked fine once I finally got a successful calibration drive done.

Do you mean you're driving around with the Solo connected to your laptop and to the CAN cable, and you're getting the error?

Looking at Randy's file that's posted on TrailBrake, he does have calculated gear data. I'm having a heard time making sense of it, though. Randy--did it look accurate to you?

Boy, I didn't think we'd have so much trouble with this channel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Randy and I talked about the gear selection issue at VIR. I just don't know how it could read what the actual gear is. The ECU does not have a sensor that tells it this. I verified this by going through the WDS and cannot find anything that would tell the ECU what gear the transmission is in.

Calculated gear selection???? maybe.
Definitely calculated--no direct data. Does it by examining the speed-rpm relationship, which is unique in each gear. At some point, the Solo needs to be taught (or provided) with the each gear's ratio.