01-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
I thought about that but then wondered why would that drive up the value of the vehicle. To me, if someone was using it as a demo and being driven by people who have no stake in the car, that means they probably driving it like they stole it, right? Still makes no sense. Note at the bottom of the carfax that it looks like it was sold again at a Missouri auction last week. I'm not even sure if the dealer listing it on Cars.com still has it. Clearly the dealer knows nothing about the car. It is listed as having 17" wheels (it doesn't) and manual seats (they are electric seats).
I would think that if it were a rental at Avis or something. And although you never know what kind of idiot has a car before you, If some one has to give it back to their own company who knows how to find them if anything is wrong, they may be more likely to take care of it. I would. But i'm not an idiot.
But the CARFAX is just an overview of whats been reported. Any good third party mechanic can tell you if its been a hard 42k, or easy before you buy.

It is strange that the dealer doesn't know anything about it. But as far as the auction goes. Most used cars are auctioned at some point. If a dealer takes it as a trade, they usually auction it rather than sell it just to move it off the lot. Or if its not selling after a few weeks, they auction it to move it.