View Single Post
      11-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #1106
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZStig View Post
Thanks for the info again. I got quoted $175 wholesale for the main puller tool from BMW dealer today. Not going to tackle this job right now, just going to top off the gear oil and clean it up for now. It looks like a very slow leak. I'll do some more research about the tools needed for the job.
Are you sure? You could set the flange with 2 bolts and a spanner between that (set the spanner against the subframe). That way you can unbolt the nut.
And then if you have a generic drive hub puller it looks like you could mount that on the flange (and then youre set )
Changing that seal is something you have to do eventually. Or let a garage do it. Although I would be less comfortable letting a dealer do something like this. (I don't hold the technical skills of the average mechanic working at a dealership that high...(maybe it's different in the US). People working at more performance orientated shops are more skilled I think.

Still I maybe would take the diff out, and do it all on a bench in a big vice or so. (I've taken my diff out multiple times so maybe I'm more used to that knowing what to expect)

And I would take of the back lid and measure the backlash (you'll need a micrometer dial and a magnetic mount. These are cheap tools). You're running a pretty powerful setup and checking the backlash is the method to get an indication if your gears don't show wear. So basically do a nice diff overhaul (maybe do the drive (output) flange seals too, they are known to wear too). The leaking seal is an indication that it is being used .
Getting the car on the ramp, dismanteling the exhaust and all the axles is half the work already done.
I don't know if youre in a hurry or working against a deadline. (ordering parts sometimes takes a lot of time)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 11-13-2013 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0