View Single Post
      11-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #1101
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZStig View Post
does the whole differential have to be removed to service this?
Not per se, but if you already have it on the lift and most of the axles removed, it might save you some troubles.

In the TIS manual they do it in the subframe:
http://bmw.workshop-manuals.com/Z_Se...ex.php?id=1070
But be alerted: the procedure that TIS describes in this particular example is a generic writeup (they do that a lot so sometimes the procedure seems a lot simpler on forehand than that it turnes out to be ).

For instance: the z4m has an extra metal dust shield between the drive flange and the diff. You can see it on your picture and it is also listed in the ETK. No such thing in TIS . Be sure not to bend/damage stuff like that or you'll hear grinding noises when driving.

Also these drive flanges can sit pretty tightly in the diff. There's a lock ring in a groove keeping it in place and sometimes you really need a (large) puller to get it off.
You get a new lock ring with the shaft seal if I'm correct.
(also afaik the surface of those drive flanges should be dry, and not covered with grease as yours are (that's why I mentioned a possible problem with the end caps of your driveshafts/cv joints))

So it's not necessary to get it out of the subframe, but with the axles loose it's only 4 bolts I think (and working over your head can be a pain if it takes long).
If you can get the drive flanges easily off the diff (so if they easliy pop out of the lock ring), then do it in the subframe.

Be sure to use a transmission jack for the diff if you decide to remove it: it is heavy!
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 11-10-2013 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0