Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
Well. for some reason it didn't work on my M. I removed my firewall grommet, and installed 2 different types of "sound generators". One from a 2003 3.0, and another thats a bit smaller. I routed a pipe to go right next to my supercharger, and even tried running with no pipe coming out of the sound generator end, and no foam. Same thing, car sounds the same. Therefore:

1. The M cars have something blocking sound coming through the firewall, other than a little circular carpet type thing I removed at the hole or:
2. The drum thing inside the sound generator needs some sort of pressure or vacuum for it to work, by being directly routed into the intake. I'm not ready to potentially disrupt my airflow or lose boost by hacking up my supercharged intake.
i got to thinking about your little experiment here and have some thoughts for you...

the 3.0si i had with this sound generator was attached to the lower air boot between the MAF and the throttle. this would mean that there HAS to be some sort of valving in the resonator, otherwise there would be strong fuel smells inside the cabin; certainly if the car has been sitting in a garage with the windows up. the valve must work under neg pressure created by the engine sucking in air. the sound is traveling much faster from the engine to the cabin than the air traveling the opposite direction, which is a funny and simple use of physics. side note: this also means, that if you remove all of the foam, you're essentially creating an unfiltered hole for solids to go wizzing straight into the intake. i'm picturing a very terrified spider screaming "WTF?!" at the top of his little spider lungs shortly before seeing the most beautiful array of throttle bodies throbbing in an ominous orange color, and him suddenly being ok with the decision to trot under the dash of a z4m that day.

i believe it is possible to get this to work in a z4m, and will be looking into possible options this week. i'll be sure to update if i find anything.
#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim
Appreciate 0