10-04-2016, 01:14 PM   #251
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LangRacingDevelopment View Post
It would have to be some pretty severe damage to make the block unusable to go to 87.5mm. That's .020" of cylinder wall that would have to be bad in order to not clean up if bored and honed to the next oversize. I would think your new block could still be used by you or someone else with the next size up piston, probably even 87.25mm.

It really depends on how bent the rod was and what went through the engine. A bent rod can take a lot of material off a cylinder wall if the piston is cocked sideways and going up and down in the bore.

I wouldn't say the original engine would have to be completely scraped but anytime you are using parts from a failed motor you have to assume all the parts are bad unless you have checked them out. Bent rods are definitely something to be concerned about along with a crankshaft that isn't straight or journals that are damaged.

They really shouldn't need to use another head, yours was just resurfaced so they should be able to just clean off the gasket material and bolt it back on unless the head was hit by a piston.
I'll ask them some more questions about the original block and head. The original principle still holds value to me from when I went into this, use as many or as much of the original stock parts as possible. Hopefully I'll talk with them tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LangRacingDevelopment View Post
what was the check engine light for?
If I remember right, it was for the crankshaft ventilation sensor. I don't remember the particular failure code. I'll dig in some emails to see if I have it.
Appreciate 0