08-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #5
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Doesn't TIS give a torque spec?
I mean you use an existing bolthole for the bracket don't you?
(where there used to be a factory fitted bolt)

Blue loctite can't hurt in this situation.

If you have the bolt size, bolt quality and thread pitch, there are generic values for bolt tightening torques.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
im not sure if the TIS Tq spec would be adequate in this situation, we now have a 20kg s/c and bracket arrangement hanging off a location that was not designed for the additional weight.

my key concern is not to over tighten or under tighten.... given additional weight of the blower and bracket, length and thickness of the bolts I'm guessing Tq would need to be significant.
Guido is correct on this.
Any particular bolt diameter, grade of bolt and thread pitch has a max. torque value.
The fact that you are hanging more weight on a particular bolt has nothing to do with its torque capacity. More related to shear capacity of the bolt that hopefully ESS has taken into account by supplying a stronger tensile strength bolt, if they deemed necessary.

Add some Loctite, torque to TIS spec and enjoy the car.

As far as the brace idea goes, my VF blower plate has a brace added, likely for that reason. Might be worth looking into that.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0