View Single Post
      02-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #25
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

over at BITOG

from PM with me over at BITOG, a while ago now!
(courtesy of Mr. Doug Hillary)

"Hi,
as requested and as sent off to others:

STARTS
Hi,
I first used Castrol's R 15w-50 (castor based) great smell - in 1978

In 1980 I commenced a Senior Technical position with a major International Company whereby I could try new technologies and the like

We (Castrol & I), first decided to test the product in late 1980 a wide range of engines;

Diesel
4cyl IL Isuzu, Kubota, Benz
3cyl IL Kubota

Petrol
6cyl IL Nissan
4cyl IL Mitsubishi
2cyl Horizontal (air coooled)

Castrol reformulated the "R" to a non castor lubricant early in the test programme

The tests involved stationary and mobile engines in ambient temps ranging from -6C to 50C
Regular UOAs were done to monitor the lubricant's condition and some engine tear downs were undetaken. The tests lasted until 1985 and covered hundres of thousand of hours of use

A number of minor formulation tweaks took place which I was a part of of course

Later (in 1986) an employee of mine (an Automotive Engineer) from IH - Mercedes Benz was employed with my help by Castrol as a Lubricant Engineer. This rekindled the testing regime again in 1989 but this time it was with HDEOs. He remains with Castrol today as a Senior Lubricant Engineer and we are still excellent friends of course

I continued to use Castrol R 10w-60 (from 1980) until 1999 in a variety of engine families and random UOAs were carried out

The lubricant 10w-60 is very durable and during the tests in the early 1980s were were able to get up to 4000hrs service before OC. We averaged about 2500hrs. We averaged 80km/h (50 mph) here in this test regime"

Regards
Doug Hillary

ENDS

06/18/08 12:00 AM Re: Castrol 10w-60
Doug Hillary

Hi,
I cannot provide more data than you probably already have

But this might help you

1 - ALPINA worked on its formulation with Castrol/BMW
2 - It suits DI engines due to its viscosity namely HTHS @ 5.4cP
3 - It has an excellent Pour Point (-42C) which is much better than some lighter viscosity lubricants
4 - It was progressively developed from 1997 as a low chlorine/minimised phosphorous lubricant

Its part ester/part PAO base has been constructed over a period of 30 years on an excellent development path

In its early life is was used by Sauber-Mercedes winning at LeMans and in Formula 1 engines (Ford-Cosworth). It was used at one point by Porsche in some race engines. It was also used here in the V8Supercars ZF six speed gearboxes with great success

It is a bit like a heavy weight version of M1 0W-40 or Delvac 1 5W-40 in its formulation
END

As of 11-'13, after acquiring the S65 in the e92 M3, I may be changing my tune in favor of the slightly thinner TWS.

Last edited by G80indy; 11-06-2013 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0