04-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #45
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45ACP View Post
This group buy is dead in the water as it is now. I seriously doubt we'll get 8 more participants by tomorrow (or even if the deadline was extended by another week) to qualify for the 15 minimum order discount. When I let Stromung know the situation this morning, and that perhaps the poor economic times has people wanting to spend less, their response was basically: That's too bad -- let us know if you want to try this again in the future. They don't care about losing the 7 committed customers we have now, let alone willing to make an exception or give a larger discount for 10.

I've had experience running over two dozen group buys over the years and this is the first one that's crashed and burned. Quite disappointing considering this is a quality product that costs significantly less than other non-custom options.

Questions are:

1) Will the 7 current participants be willing to settle for the 10-order minimum discount of 10%?

2) If all 7 current participants agree to stay on, can we get another 3 by tomorrow (or in another week with an extension)?
I appreciate the work and effort you've put in on this GB (and the others you've run). It's a great service to the community and it's no small amount of work. The crash and burn is no reflection whatsoever on you (I think the vendor is the reason for reasons below).

In terms of this GB, like others have said, the reluctance on the part of the vendor to budge on price is probably part of the issue; the economy a factor (including fuel costs which go to running these beasts); and a saturation of the exhaust market (many folks have an exhaust already). The two main issues IMO were a lower priced GB in the past which set a huge price point expectation and subsequent disappointment when the the vendor told us to "pound sand" regarding pricing. Contrast that with some of the other vendors who worked with us on GBs. It sure didn't leave a good taste in my mouth about what the customer service or quality might be like....

Personally, I was very interested but my new found track addiction put this well behind other needs in terms of priority (tires, brakes, track day fees). And I really did find the vendor's attitude off-putting on a gut level regardless of whatever logical reasons there were behind the pricing.

Thanks again for trying to work the deal for us.

Last edited by Finnegan; 04-11-2011 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0