View Single Post
      11-05-2018, 10:46 AM   #21
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

IF you guys are having problem selling or moving the RB kits, there's another option.

You can sell the brackets and calipers separate. They will fit factory Z4 M and E46 Competition Package rotors, if you include a 1mm shim for each pad. Keep the RB rotors because they're the same size as the factory Z4 M rotors (except 1mm thicker). You can still run factory calipers, except the rears will require some slight modification to the pads (you can get Performance Friction pads for Direct Drive rotors, those will fit perfectly). IF you're limited to class rules, the rotors should not put you in any points or rules penalty because they're direct replacement rotors for factory sizes.

It's a funky setup but it worked well for me before their caliper upgrade kits, as the rotor is the centerpiece of the kit anyway.

If you got the bigger rotor kit...You might still be able to source the brackets to fit the calipers onto a factory rotor setup. I know RB frowns upon that setup because of the additional requirement for the 1mm shims, but technically it's a superior setup to factory calipers AND you get better heat management away from the pistons and calipers with a good 1mm titanium shim.

I'm sorry this kit didn't work out for you guys man. RB is one of those small mom and pop type businesses that I really like to see succeed, and have been doing what little I can to help. Best of luck moving the kit in the secondary market guys.

There's also a couple of tricks I've done with their open slot rotors that helped tremendously with deposits and rotor vibration. Their first generation slotted (not the open slot) rotors had chamfered edges on the slots, and those worked great for 4+ years on the MZ4 Coupe. When they moved to the open slot design, the slots were no longer chamfered and I noticed the trailing edge of the slots appear to have some "build-up" over time. Taking a Dremel with a grinding disk to the edges made a huge difference in eliminating 70% of the odd build-up behavior. The grinding stone was just the right size too to make a nice chamfered edge on their slots.

In the end though, I wish that's something they'd have built into the rotors, but it is what it is.

Lastly, if you really struggle with selling those kits here, the E46 M3 crowd may be a good bet to get it moving, as, again, they're direct fit. M3Forum, bimmerforum's E46 M3 section, E46Fanatics (*shudder*), or Bimmerfest's for sale section might be a better bet to sell them, sell them quick, and make a more reasonable sales price than here IMO.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1