12-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Waxing crass and meaningful - Yes

+ 1 for the crass materialism.
Already have my meaning of life lesson from 20 years of Marine Corps service. Took a few years of perspective once it was over to realize it.

1. Go "live" "your" life, all that really matters is you and yours.
2. To prove the point of rule #1, ten seconds after you are dead, nearly everyone has moved on. If you are remembered, its a photo on the wall or or a toast with a good Bourbon. Dont try this out too early.
3. Make sure you have options. Change happens. Flexibility, and the ability to be flexible are the base of success.
4. If you don't have options see rule #3. Around, over or through, let nothing stop you.
5. Find a day job that matters, i.e. you ENJOY coming to work. If not see rule #3.
6. A few distractions are a good thing. Get distracted, and remember rule #3
7. Finally, "Nil Illegitemi Carborundum." They just aren't worth your time.

I had good times and bad times and finally realized the meaning of "service" many times meant true sacrifice in pursuit of that service. "All gave some, and some more than others." Service can be a great thing, gives you a resounding feeling of meaning that you never even realize until its over.

In the end, after 20 years of it, I'm chasing the life, the toys, and the experiences that I want. My back's still great, so I'm keeping the Si - for now....
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0