02-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #35
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
Thank God - Done and works.

Done - hairiest part cutting the dash panel - it is vinyl on wood veneer glued to aluminum. I cut the outside like a pie so that I could fold it in all around the face of the gauge so it looks neater than cutting out a circle.

I drilled from the back to the wooden under base which means go slow -very slow and when to the wood (you can see it in the pic around the aluminum disc.)you can trim it from the outside with a box cutter. Then tuck in the cut edges of the vinyl and tighten up the retainer on the back - test fit before you get to far on the dash and as before may as well check out the workings before putting the dash back together. Also make sure you are happy with the level of the gauge and then tighten it down.

The opening in the dash panel is about 1/8" flexible in side to side - little more up and down but the fit is TIGHT and everything has to be cut properly and well measured or you can F up your dash and the plastic behind a LOT. The gauge body is 2" in diameter but the retaining ring adds another 1/4 inch - I actually cut off two of the projections.

In fact - over all the damn dash mounted gauge is more stressful and friggin around than the supercharger. The funny spring retained clip on the right side of the dash panel - 20 minutes looking in a mirror to see if it is in place. Drop a screw in the engine compartment - usually hits the floor - drop one down under the damn seats
Attached Images

2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0