View Single Post
      04-10-2017, 10:06 PM   #52
MPLICIT
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4MC S65B40A Swap

Here is the deal. The S65 block and oil pan have been bolted together and placed in the car for fitment purposes. I am delighted to declare that the oil pan fits perfectly in the E86 without any compromises. The only issues I see are clearance for the headers on the driver side due to the steering rack. I'll allow the pictures to explain everything so far.

First up we have this great option for keeping dust out of anything

As you can see here workspace is at a premium, but I'm getting this shit done. No fucking around for me. Swap comes first.

Here we have a spare block I had laying around just for this purpose of test fitting. It has a cracked main bearing seat so no worries if I smack it around a bit.

Time to get a busted oil pan on my busted block for test fitting purposes. I got the block for free and the pan was dead cheap so I HIGHLY suggest getting busted parts like this for mock up practices and getting things in order so you don't mess up your nice new motor.

In we go...

I already know one of you wise asses is going to mention something about the S54 transmission still there. It's only there so I can see how far back I can take my block. Relax, I know it won't bolt up, not the purpose.

I decided to throw on the OEM mounts just to get an idea. Something to note here is if you were to bolt it in like this it would be about six inches too far forward but you could theoretically move the tranny up but not sure why you would. It's cool that the geometry works. This means making mounts is way easier.

Here you can see if it's mounted in like this just how far from the trans it is

Getting a little tighter...

I got it seated right where I want it and took pics. Here is the steering rack and the front of the pan. A perfect fit

Rear sump of the pan. Perfect fit.

Subframe and rack clearance. I'll still get it tighter than this but so far it looks like it's made to fix. Even the rack tunnel in the pan fits perfectly

Let's check that pan clearance as we don't want it too low. Perfect fit. Looks OEM height almost

Sway bar and front side view. Will the AC clear the sway bar and frame? It appears it will from a quick measurement. I know the AC is an issue in the E46 but I don't think it will be here.

I have it in this perfect fitment area right now so how does it look all around in perspective of the great subframe and rack fit? Here is how it looks

You'll notice it does not perfectly line up with trans and it's because it's not perfectly mounted yet or anything and the trans has upward tension on it.

Does the plenum appear to fit? Let's measure from the top of the engine and see. About 12 inches here....

Not pictured but it is 9 inches from that same spot above the start cutout to the top of the secondary air pump. From the top of the secondary air pump to the top of plenum is about 1.5 more inches. This is a total of let's say 11 inches which is under the limit of 12 so we have fitment!

There will be a ton of room between the rad support up front and front of this beast

Get an engine leveler and swivel link... You will thank me later.

Engine mounts tomorrow and then DCT trans fitment and hopefully trans mounts as well.

Questions? Just ask me.

2011 Space Gray + Fox Red ///M3 Coupe
ESS VT2-650, Bilstein PSS10 Coils, AP Racing BBK, Recaro Seats, CF Roof, GTS DCT Tune

Last edited by MPLICIT; 04-10-2017 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 4
yousefnjr6221.00
crfine88442.00
Mirko182.00
Nkc1602.50