View Single Post
      08-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #30
nobrakese28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

MADNESS.

So as I continue on my journey to make a 100% reversible install of the Euro headers w/ custom cat section 1 I decided to start looking into the EGT/oxygen sensors.

I found a guy with a crashed E46 330, for $30 he let me cut off all 8 (4 mating) oxygen sensor connectors. If I solder the wires of the connectors (1 male 1 female), I have my self a plug and play harness which requires no cutting of the factory O2 sensors.

I also purchased some female connectors from a crashed 1995 740il, I actually thought these wouldn't work at first. But it turns out that the Z4M unlike the E46 M3 uses three different style of oxygen sensor connectors. Since I only had the female connector for the 7 series, I had to buy the male connector (I had to buy a new 02 sensor from a 740).

Here is a little cross reference:

Bank 1, post-cat O2 sensor: Uses an OBD-1 E38 &40iL male/female connector
Bank 2, post-cat O2 sensor: Uses an OBD-2 E46, E38, ETC style male/female connector
Bank 1/2, pre-cat O2 sensor uses a completely different style of connector (doesn't matter, these sensors does not need to be extended)

EGT Sensor (only 1): Uses any modern 1992 and male/female BMW brake sensor connector

I plan on writing a full procedure for installing the Euro cats along with whats needed to avoid welding original section 1/cutting & soldering wires. Yes I am an anal bastard.
Appreciate 0