View Single Post
      12-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #7
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
The E85/86 Z4 has the first generation electronic power steering boost and feels dramatically different from even just the 2nd generation electronic power steering boost in the E9x. I had a Z4 3.0i and an E92 328i, and the E92 328i's EPS feels much different...Heavier, but ARTIFICIALLY heavier.

The big difference was the electronic boost on the Z4 isn't as linear, and at lower speeds seems over-boosted, while the E92 feels more natural, but the boost levels were "artificial" compared to say, a true hydraulic steering like my MZ4 Coupe.

Then you throw in the "active" steering that was on our E60 545i...Now that thing was trip. But once you get used to it it's actually really cool.

At the end of the day though...NOTHING BMW makes now beats the hydraulic rack on the MZ4 IMO.

p.s.: The 135i has hydraulic assisted steering? I thought pretty much everything BMW made after 2006 (except the MZ4 Coupe) had electric power assisted steering.
Nope! Our '11 E88 has active steering which is traditional hydraulic with on demand variable boost.