View Single Post
      06-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Valve adjustment by a supervised noob

This morning, Davez4 supervised me doing the valve adjustment with more than a little help in between.

First off ill start by saying: IT IS NUTS THAT SHOPS ARE CHARGING OVER $600 FOR THIS!!!!

Some interesting info for you guys: My car has about 23,500 miles and we had to adjust 9 valves. They weren't far out of spec, but their is a definite difference in the smoothness and the top end now.

really. Its not that bad. If you are around others with the s54 motor, pool your money and buy the shim kit. It only took about 2.5 hours and thats with me dropping nearly every tool we had into my engine bay. Remember, ive never done this before in my life. I did have supervision and wouldnt have attempted it otherwise, but thats before i knew what i was dealing with. There are plenty of DIYs out there that you can look at so im not going to get into the details. Lets just call this some encouragement.

Big thanks to Dave and His dad for all the help! and for of course ragging on me every step of the way
Appreciate 0