View Single Post
      01-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
If you decide on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, the end dumps you out into Virginia Beach. Just head through VB and pick up I64E to pick up RT 17 and bypass most of the traffic, OR you could take I64E to RT58 out to Emporia (NC/VA border) and pick up 95S. 95 is great from there.... I drive from VB to RT 58 out past Emporia and head out to VIR....

Another way (as stated above) is to take I95 and pickup route 13 south from the Delaware Memorable Bridge all the way down the Delmarva peninsula to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. I drive this route from VB to Connecticut five to seven times a year for work... It is a good drive.
On this path it take nine hours from Groton/New London CT. to VB.

If you decide to take 95 through and around DC, expect big delays....all the way past Quantico Va. It is always better to bypass DC by a large amount. I drive to DC a lot also....

RT 13 south has a lot less traffic than RT 17, and LESS traffic lights.. but either way are good relaxing drives..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Bill View Post
Driving I95 is a miserable experience more often than not, so you should look at alternatives.

One is to head west and pick up I81 in central Pa. You could then take I77 to central N. C., from where you have several options (including those mentioned above).

Or you could go east of I95, down the Delmarva peninsula. Look at route 1 from Newark, Del. to 13 down the center of the peninsula. Or you could go south in N. J. to Cape May, take the ferry to Lewes, then take 9 over to 13. Either way, you cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel to Hampton, Va. Then you can make your way to 17 and follow it to Charleston, S. C. I recently did this route from Delaware to Hampton and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Both routes would probably take longer than I95 but are infinitely more interesting.

The Blue Ridge is a lovely drive but very slow, and snow will close some sections. Check before you start.
Appreciate 0