View Single Post
      09-10-2017, 03:20 PM   #11
GyroF-16
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
I missed earlier that you had installed the PFC Z rated pads. Sorry for that! Any difference in pad thickness would only be felt on the very first pump of the brake pedal after they were installed. After that it should make no difference. On the Z rated pads PFC installs an anti squeal buffer plate that's crimped on the the pad backing plate (see photo). What I found when I had them on my car is that anti-squeal plate acts like a thin spring and pushed to pad back a bit farther than you'd get without it. This causes a bit more pedal travel to close the gap and get the pads into compression against the rotor and the result is added brake pedal travel. I liked the performance of the PFCZ pads but hated the added brake pedal travel. When I swapped them out for a set of Hawk pads the pedal travel immediately went back to normal. If I ever decide to put them back on, I'm going to peel that anti-squeal plate off them and live with any noise that may come instead of the added pedal travel.
D.C.-
Thank you for that information on the Z-compounds... it's nice to hear that someone else had this pedal-travel issue (and it's not caused by something I did...).
I may try to peel the backing plates off as you describe... if not, the instructor I had at yesterday's driving school seemed happy with the Cool Carbons that he used for street driving on his E46 M3, so I may try some of those.

Thanks again to all...
Appreciate 0