05-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Thank you for the quick look. I Agree!

My "default" is a late apex (track time) and it's kind of a habit, and I need to adjust my mindset to AutoX. (I was able to "see" most of the early apex corners during the course walk, but hard to execute an early apex on a run, again, habit.) Think I need to give up some speed in some corners as well to reduce my arc and stay tighter too.

AutoX is another animal from track! It's very fun though, and I plan on getting a lot more seat time with this new activity as well!

Thanks again!
In the autocross courses I've driven on, most corners are late apex.

However unlike street or track, autocross inputs are earlier and "out of phase". I've never rallied or drifted, but there I assume inputs are even earlier. Anyway, this explains why you can hit the rumble strips on track but not be on the cones at autocross.

Bob Tunnell has as good description in bullet 7 here of differences - http://www.bimmerhaus.com/tech/shocktuningTN.html.

Also, a 2 second straight is an eternity in autocross - inputs are contant. The one time I was on track, I had kept thinking I should be doing something other than standing on the throttle with wheel in more or less a fixed position.
Appreciate 0