View Single Post
      12-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #17
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loogey Clapp View Post
Rick, another fantastic journey without even leaving my seat!! Entertaining and informative! I love those houses in Sunbury!! Your trips make me want to go see the East. For now, still dreaming about it. Any chance of you doing a tour of Civil War sites? Again, thank you for your amazing journeys of wonderment.
LC,

I could be persuaded to tour a couple more Civil War sites! I love Gettysburg, having crawled all over the place from the time I was 7 years old through the present.

Actually, in this part of the country, it's hard to find a spot that didn't feature in the Civil War somehow. A huge battle was fought on South Mountain in Maryland, but its significance was eclipsed by Antietam a couple of days later.

One of my favorite places in Maryland is located at the site of a skirmish during the Battle of South Mountain. It's just outside of Burkittsville, and is known to locals as Spook Hill. As you're driving down the hill, you can stop, take the car out of gear, let off the brakes--and it will roll backwards up the hill! Legend has it that the ghosts of the soldiers who died during the skirmish don't want you around, and they will push your car away from the area.

It never fails to raise the hair on the back of my neck.

Rick
Appreciate 0