06-18-2011, 01:46 AM   #33
Platfawrm
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
Big fan! Is there any ability to have the wing sit lower? By maybe 4-6 inches?

My car is about as track prepped as you can get -- half-cage, harnesses, race buckets, etc -- but I still think having a big wing like that on the street (yes, I do drive on the street) is a bit out of place. On the track, AWESOME. Motoring around city streets, meh...
Yes we can order shorter stands so the wing does not sit as high up.

PM me for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayZ4C View Post
Great for the track but I think a little big for the road.
Smaller profile/shorter wing stands are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I have yet to experience the need for any significant aero work on this car and I've seen north of 145mph on the banked portion of California Speedway.

IMO (here we go again), unless there are significant weight reduction from both ends, this car does not need aerodynamic aid since the drag will reduce the available HP, and at 330 you're going to need every HP you've got to move 3,400+ lbs (trust me, unless you weight 120 lbs, the car is going to be over 3,400+ lbs). Club racers that ran any sort of significant wing(s) like this typically weight in at around 2,600 lbs or less with driver, and has enough power AND grip to require down-force.

Frankly, these wings on anything outside of cars modified for competition, are mostly for looks only. Very few will be going at 90mph+ through a turn only to find that their car is too light to have any significant grip on either end.
Club racers don't run crazy aero b/c they have class rules to follow by. I don't understand why BMW track guys compare to chassis/aero/suspension setup to a club racer car. Their cars are built to run in each class, that is why there isn't huge aero, and suspensions with external reserviors are not allow. If your aero argument is valid then no one should run Moton/JRZ external reservoirs since club racers don't?

If you look at time attack cars they all run as much aero as allowed in their classing, even in street class where the contenders are privateers with low budgets. Aero is effective regardless of the power output, your cornering speeds are faster, thus you carry more speed throughout the whole track. A good example is a Honda S2000's with ~190whp turning 1:57's on street tires at BW CW13.

A wing/splitter setup on my 3300lb M3 at 280whp gained me roughly 5 seconds at BW CW13, same tires/brakes/driver.

The argument of weight/power vs drag maybe valid on a long straight but even then it would be a coin flip since with aero your cornering speeds are higher so upon corner exit the aero equipped car will be at a higher speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Check out the Varis hyper narrow wing, it sits much lower.

Hack, how do you feel about front splitters?
Varis hyper narrow is also produced by Voltex, its also much cheaper than the Varis units.

All Varis does is make stands/mounts for cars and they label it theirs.
Appreciate 0