View Single Post
      07-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #1
GyroF-16
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Newbie has soft brake pedal after pad change

Hi guys-
I changed my brake pads from track PFC08s to street pads two weeks ago, and have had a mushy brake pedal ever since...
Of note (this is what I'm worried about)- I popped the hood and checked the brake fluid level by looking through the reservoir before and after I compressed each caliper, but did NOT remove the resevoir cap. Is it possible that I over-pressurized and damaged the master cylinder? Or did I just somehow introduce a little air into the system at the caliper end when swapping the pads? Is air introduction possible or common when changing pads?

Other info & symptoms:
Right after the pad swap, the brake pedal went to the floor the first time I moved the car, but after a few pumps, was nice and firm...
But now the pedal requires a lot of travel to get good brake engagement. If I pump the pedal, it gets firmer, but if I keep pumping, gets a little softer again.
Also, once when starting the car (Z4MC) with the clutch in and shifter in 1st, car jerked (as if in gear) when the starter engaged- like older cars if you tried to start in gear w/ clutch out. That only happened once, though.

The car is still drivable, but brakes aren't any fun to use.

Thoughts and opinions on what's going on?
I plan to bleed the brakes (my first time trying that) when I get back from vacation in about two weeks. But in the meantime him worried about potential master cylinder damage.
Appreciate 0