10-19-2021, 09:43 AM   #22
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
It's not just you. I noticed similar experience on Lightning coming into T1 from high speed straight. I think the combination of heavy braking (gas goes towards front of tank) and then tight-right turn OVER a crest, all contributes to the fuel pump starving, even on a full tank. I always get a sputter when I'm on the gas after T1.

My solution is part throttle it for just 1-2 seconds after T1, then go full, and it goes away.

I have a venturi "upgrade" to try someday and see if that reduces the issue. For now at least, every single session I do on any track requires me to start with a full tank for the least amount of disruption. That reduces it.

In Pocono NORTH, the long tri-oval I'm flat out and don't get fuel starvation, which is odd in itself. I have no explanation.

I have a feeling our best solution here is to use a small fuel accumulator. I had to so something for my Meth injection because my meth pump would start from high Gs and the meth tanks sloshing the meth all to one side, starving the tank outlet.

I created a small cylinder about the size of a soda can that sits lower than the tanks. There is always meth in there. When the meth tanks start to starve, there is enough in the 'soda can' to run meth for about 10 seconds of boost. By that time, the meth from the tanks will start filling it up again with gravity.
So the issue you describe is literally identical to mine. Heavy braking, high g right hand turn and get a sputter. Back off the throttle for a second and get back on the throttle and its fine. It only happens in specific corners but it happens at those corners consistently lap after lap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9218 View Post
I’m going to opinion that y’all have a fuel system malfunction. I’m scooting around the track pretty hard (1:33’s at Road Atlanta) and have zero fuel starvation issues. As stated above, only when run to empty do I have any starvation (and then it’s game over!).

Even with the higher fuel consumption rate, you shouldn’t have starvation. I would start by replacing everything in the tank (pump/filter and regulator). Verify everything is attached properly and go from there.
I think you're on to something here.... when my car was new (owned it since 2006) I never had these issues. I could run it till I literally ran out of gas with no issues. The only difference was I was not as fast as driver as i am now. That said I have run the car on Pirelli slicks that really generate the corning G's with no sputter and this weekend I was just on RE-71 street tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
To add: my pump/filt/reg are all new-ish. Is there possibility of a clog or disconnect of the venturi on the driver side of the tank? Not sure how to check other than drain the tank and try to reach over with my arm.
This what throws me off thinking it is a defect in the fuel system vs a defect in the design. If you replaced everything and still have the issue then it rules it out be a defective part unless it is something in the other side of the tank we can't see. That said its not unheard of to get some defective parts off the shelf.

I think at the very least I am going to fall in your foot steps and replace everything in the fuel system and see if that cures the problem.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0