View Single Post
      03-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #39
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

^ Very impressive technique.

I'm 6'5" and wear a 14 Puma Speedcat. My legs nearly brush the steering wheel with my seat as far back as it will go. H/T is physically impossible for me, but I want to perform the best alternative technique. I don't think I will ever "get" the side-of-foot blip either.

This is what I currently do: Brake until apex > double-clutch/rev-match > exit. Don't ask me why I double-clutch. It feels natural to me and makes me feel safe that I won't destroy anything if I get it wrong.

I lose a lot of time doing this and I know there is a better technique, but I have a hard time getting my head around it. What is the best technique knowing I need to take my foot off the brake to do it? The best sequence I can think of is: (after finish braking) clutch in > downshift > blip > clutch out > exit -- in one smooth motion. Or does blip come before downshift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
once you blip the throttle (or hit it) get the clutch out FAST! Don't delay or ease it out. Once you hit the throttle and the revs climb just let the clutch fly and it'll be much more seamless. One of my instructors pointed it out several years ago and it made a huge difference in ease/smoothness.
This scares me shitless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
Personally, I wait to do my downshift until right before I want to get onto the throttle. So I brake HARD to start and then begin to tailor off. Once I'm tailoring off is when I'll start my heel-toe downshift. I'll get it done and then be ready to get back on the throttle right away, no delays. This way I can conscentrate on the hard braking zone and set myself up for the exit. It is more of a step-by-step routine, but it simplifies things and lets me be smoother.
I identify with this the best (substituting my double-clutch for the H/T bit).
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete

Last edited by RADRACR; 03-06-2013 at 12:00 AM..
Appreciate 0