View Single Post
      06-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #38
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

94 degree 80% humidity VT-525 track testing

Ok so I took my car to Roebling this past weekend to test it out on track with my new fuel pump. The conditions were severe to say the least with ambient temps in the 90's with 80% humidity. The first session was cut short bc of an accident but noticed the improvement from the new pump immediately, no issues on the high speed turns with full throttle transition, and the car hit 145 mph on the straight starting from turn 9 at apex 90mph in 5th gear. (For reference i would start in 4th gear at the same apex speed and only reach 145 in similar temps with the Vt-1) So power was definitely there all good so far. I did notice the oil temps in the 250 range which is much higher than I was running with my Vt-1 kit with custom fitted E63 M6 oil cooler (I would never go over 230 oil temps). The afternoon sessions my oil temps continued to climb to the 260-270 range and i started having a limp mode kick in only at the end of the straight (after 12 seconds of full throttle acceleration. This could be avoided by short shifting into 6th gear but this considerably slowed me down. So it would seem the VT-525 is not sufficient cooling wise for hard track use in the South east . I will be trying to recreate the limp modes on the dyno with AFR logging to ensure there is not a tune issue, but this new problem is likely a vanilla temp limp mode. I'm just happy I was able to run it enough to get it overheated lol. Seriously though after I ensure the kit is healthy otherwise , I will work on additional cooling mods, i.e radiator options and even consider a larger oil cooler. even if I can get it to run stable at those temps, that is a bit high for my liking. The kit is a monster on the street though, and I want to make it clear if you are a novice or intermediate driver you will likely have zero problems with the kit. On the street the car stays in the 215 temp range even in hot conditions , driving aggressively. I am really pushing it hard, a sub 1:20 at Roebling road is an extremely quick pace. ESS did a fantastic job with smoothness and throttle feel . Even with my 4.10 gears the power is very controllable on track and the throttle mapping is a huge improvement over the VT-1. I will keep everyone posted on how things go.
Appreciate 0