View Single Post
      10-13-2022, 01:45 PM   #6
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Why would you disable a safety device ( air bag) to get rid of an airbag light? That frankly is one of the stupidest suggestions I've seen on the various forums.

Use INPA or ISTAD software with appropriate cable ( switchable between prepost lift and post lift) to access fault/error codes and clear. If The error/airbag light persist then dig further down to possible error causes and resolve then clear error memory once again.

Both of the BMW tech software packages are capable of testing the SRS system to locate and or provide the current resistance values of the SRS wiring. You can clean connections or whatever is suggested to resolve the issue to get the resistance value between the 1.2-3.2 ohms it calls for (going from memory from when I did this myself… but values are close if not correct).

In my case it was to replace the 2 wire connector in the battery well that went to the exploder on the battery cable that disconnects the battery cable from the battery in a collision (mind fart at moment for the correct term for the exploder… which explosively disconnects the cable…. EOD technician here) After 8 years for owing the car and cleaning that specific connector numerous times. it refused to "get into spec" with under 3.2 ohms. I cut it out and replaced with a properly sized wire compatible connector which fixed it permanently.

Anyway…. Use the BMW software to investigate/resolve error codes on the car…

Always disconnect the battery from the car when disconnecting connectors… error codes are set when you do and need to be reset/cleared… few handheld scanners are capable of doing so and the ones that are are expensive and likely unable to "dig down" into the rabbit hole so to speak…to suggest causes and repair procedures.

Google for INPA and ISTAD software and cable. There are YouTube videos on how to use….