View Single Post
      10-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I'm getting my competition license with SCCA in the spring. I know SCCA will require some type of comp license, but not sure with NASA. If you get the SCCA license, it'll more than likely open up more competitions you'll be able to attend.

I would think the TT would be possibly safer than you think, because you're competing strictly on time vs. trying to make an impossible pass to place higher. The insurance would only be for HPDE rather than a timed event. I don't think you'll get insurance for your car for a timed event like a TT.

Tires, definitely look into BFG R1. They're not full out slicks so they may be worth less points, but still super sticky and quick.

Your car is super nice and still worth quite a bit. Do yourself a favor and seriously look into getting a full-bore track car. In the end it'll be cheaper and you won't have to cut up your car. I've spent a ton of money on my car and I still wouldn't be competitive if I were to race it. You could buy a used Z4 convertible cheap over the winter and then cage it and mod it and spend about $15 - $20K on it total. Put a small hitch on it and trailer your spare parts/tires with you.
Just a thought.
Appreciate 0