3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, 550i, X3

Garage List
Anyone here compete in Time Trial?

The Plan
I have fun doing DE's but part of me wants to push myself a bit more. I guess I'm at the equivalent of group 3 by CCA/PCA/NASA standards, although I am by no means the fastest in 3. I know I still have a ways to go but my plan was to make my way up to NASA HPDE 4, get used to open passing, the faster pace, etc. and eventually apply for a TT license...

The Car
A bone stock 3.0si is TT-D but already starts with +7 pts; 20-39points bumps me to TT-C. Add the rest of my mods, ie weight savings, tires, suspension, lsd and I'm at 30pts total. I don't think it's worth removing some of those mods to stay within TT-D so plan would be to run in C and while having room for 9 additional points (probably would use towards weight svings). I looked at the list of TT-C cars and I think I can actually compete in that category. Sure they include 135/335i but they're also dinged with 14pts to begin with so chances are many of them would be pushed to TTB.

The Concern
So with that said, my questions/concerns. One thing I always liked about DE was the safe environment. Risk of incident being somewhat minimal (at least compared to club racing). NASA TT runs with either its own group or combined with HPDE-4 so is it safe to assume that it's still as safe as HPDE, but everything is just moving at a faster pace? Also, do insurance companies such as Lockton cover TT or is it HPDE strictly? Lastly, if it is more "dangerous", should I not bother and just stick with HPDE4 (or another way put am I not missing out on much by sticking with HPDE 4 and just getting my own lap times)?

Last edited by 3002 tii; 10-23-2012 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0