View Single Post
      07-20-2011, 02:26 AM   #87
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

I got to drive the car a fair amount, but not a whole lot; immediately, however, it is much better as was expected (or at least hoped) by all. The tune is probably still adapting, especially if it had maximally adapted to the previous boost state, but approaching the refinement of the N/A ESS tune. Its weakness is probably still part throttle deceleration.

The performance is definitely pretty impressive, though my 265mm Super Sports are having no trouble sending the power to the bone-dry Southern California pavement. I'm starting to feel like the driveshaft components are the weakest link--not only does the engine put down serious power, but engine-drive resistance is substantially greater due to the load of the supercharger. I feel the need to be especially careful with the throttle transitioning between the two (mainly in 2nd and 3rd, of course--but my car spends much of its milage in those gears as I commute up and down the mountain). That's probably not hard to get used to, and I think the tune continuing to learn will improve it.

Pleasantly, the S/C whine is significantly more noticeable now; I love it. Chris thinks the BPV whistle is normal, which I suspected from the beginning--but especially with some of the S/C noise conspicuously quiet, it was stand-out annoying. I still don't like it and would probably prefer a BOV, but at least the BPV recycling is technically audible when you push the car to reasonably high RPMs.

I will give further updates as I drive the car more in the next few days...Tuesday I will probably return to NorCal and will have the entire day to experiment.

I got a video of driving a loop around the neighborhood with my GoPro, and the audio is potentially interesting but still pretty low quality. Still looking for a better solution for audio capture on/in cars, specifically... I'll upload it, but the internet here is slow so I can't wait for it to finish tonight.
Appreciate 0