03-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #313
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkle View Post
I gave my car a much deserved & long awaited garage space. When I bought my MC, one of my wife's conditions of approval was that she would not lose the garage spot for her Mini (A request driven by convenience, not protection from elements). We have what is technically a one car garage in San Francisco. Wide enough for 2 cars, but a 10 foot wide door. Fitting 2 cars would necessitate removal of 2 posts, and offsetting the cars in a way that either could get out without moving the other. I did a lot of planning, both in CAD, and taping out on the floor to make sure it would work. I finally pulled the trigger, putting in a bigger beam & required posts & footings in order to enlarge the parking area. I also had to move the main sewer line and clear huge amount of crap - 15 years worth of detritus. Much to my satisfaction, the cars fit with enough space to open doors & circulate. Getting in and out is a bit of a skilled move, but doable.

Phase 2 will be installation of cabinets in lieu of open shelves & epoxy floor.
Nice work funkle. That gives me inspiration to try to fit 3 cars in my 2 car garage. Unfortunately my other 2 cars are actually a truck (Honda Ridgeline) and SUV (Audi Q5). The Z4 might fit sideways in front of the Q5 for winter storage, but that would require the driver (my wife) to park within a foot of the Z4 without hitting it. Not gonna happen! She has no front camera and the sensors start sounding when you're about 3 feet away!
Appreciate 0