View Single Post
      10-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #8
daveysew
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '91 318is/'05 Z4 SC/'18 440ix

I know that resale will be an issue, any type of modified car has a very limited buyers market. You're right, buying without a warranty on the drivetrain is a bit of a risk, but I am rolling the dice. That being said I'm confident in the PPI from Engineered Auto, they were Canada's first Dinan dealer and up until a few years ago were also there distributor, in their opinion they've seen far less problems with supercharged engines versus modified 335 Twin Turbo motor due to poor intercooling (has been recently addressed by BMW). I think you misread my post about the tyres, they weren't worn out, they were either not maintained at correct pressure or were just an incorrect fit that caused the failure. They were far more bling than performance. It is a bit f a gamble, but I got a 2005 Z4 with only 10,000km on it, with over $15,000 in modifications, for only $32,500. The way I'm looking at it, compared to the price of other Z4's on the market it's a pretty good deal. As for getting Budd's to CPO it, will never happen, warranty coverage is provided by BMW corporate not individual dealers, and corporate will never certify aftermarket parts. Even Dinan equipment would not be CPO'd but it may covered by warranty from Dinan. As for long term reliability, anytime you modify an engine to increase power you lose longevity, I'm gambling on the high quality of the motor to begin with, my mechanics recommendation, and a bit of god juju. Wish me luck.

dave
Appreciate 0