09-23-2015, 03:03 PM   #12
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC
Nice car. The biggest mistake you could make is by selling it.

To me, the Z4M is one of the best values as far as used performance cars go. I plan on owning mine until the wheels fall off, I'm not joking. I'm tired of car payments, I'm tired of new techno crap gadgets that take away from the driving experience, and there's nothing new which appeals to me in the slightest (a P1 is obviously not realistic lol).

With that being said, what shocks me about the Z4M is that a Z3M with the S54 is priced closely in comparison. To me, this is completely insane because the Z3M isn't 1/10 the car the Z4M is (yes, I owned 4 Z3Ms so I'm speaking from experience). Due to the value the Z3M has held, and the fact the face lifted Z4 didn't receive an ///M version, I really think the value of our cars will hold their present value. I don't see them increasing, but I think we've hit the bottom as far as values will go. This of course doesn't include cars with 150K miles or whatever which will go for relatively pennies.

I think a good place to start with your car right now is around $24k (US) and work from there. I picked up my second Z4M last summer, with 55k miles on it for $20k, and that included a TON of new parts (all new brakes, 3rd brake light, floor mats, tires, etc.) For the dealer to put that much in the car, he probably bought it in the $14-15k range. The car was on his lot for ages, and with the speed he sold it to me, I feel like I probably could have got it for around $18.5-19k. I mean, he bit on my $20k offer INSTANTLY (the car was listed at $23k). This was also in the middle of summer, July.

Don't be in any hurry to sell your car, these are difficult cars to sell and the right buyer needs to come along. Your car is a nearly 10 year old BMW, which downright scares the living hell out of 99% of buyers. Add in the fact it's a two seat toy, and you just lost another .99% of buyers. The other bad thing, a VERY bad thing, is that banks generally won't make loans on vehicles eight years or older (some banks are like six years max). So now, you have a car that very few people want, and they need to be CASH buyers. People who have that kind of cash lying around generally go with newer/more expensive cars. It's just a very, very difficult sale.

Just keep the car, you won't find anything better for the price. People still ask me all the time if I just got the car, the Z4M is holding it's styling very, very well.
This was very well stated, and well thought out.

If I could add something, I would venture to say that in the very near future certain BMW M cars will see a serious bump in value in the marketplace.

For example, the E85 M Roadster was built in limited numbers.

How many of E85 Z4 M's were produced? For North America there were exactly 3,041 produced from 02/2006 through 08/2008.

With more electronics and the "drivers experience" siphoned out of cars, the mechanical feel and sound of older M cars will be highly desirable by a lot of people and that should include collectors.

This only my $0.02.
Appreciate 0