07-17-2011, 02:02 AM   #19
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
We'll do water/meth after getting on a dyno first.

The good news is that 265mm Hankook V12s are decent at containing the power, much to my surprise. I'm sure a 275mm Advan AD08 or a Bridgestone RE-11 will provide adequate traction further down the road(no pun intended). The differential works HARD to keep it hooked in the first 2 gears. When you get on the throttle, the back of the car is just FIGHTING around, yet the chassis/diff/tires do a good job containing it.
Funny how similar our experiences are turning out to be with essentially-simultaneous installs...I would also like to do water/meth, but as it voids the ESS warranty, I will force myself to wait until I am certain the kit is in perfect order. Then, the benefits of water/meth are simply too great to ignore, and I'll be done with engine mods!

My 265 Super Sports have also been decent at holding the power, at least in 2nd, up to 7k. However, I can relate to the feeling--the rear of the car feels like its getting squirrely at WOT, feeling as though it has broken loose, yet you know it hasn't. I've never felt such a thing before...and I'm sure you're right, it's a diligently-operating M Differential and all the other component interplay that is forced to react as power is diverted side to side, searching for equilibrium.

About the whistling...could you describe more of the character of what you're hearing? I adore the whistle of the actual S/C unit, which changes and evolves as engine speed changes, but what drives me nuts is the transient, louder noise that is only present at certain RPM/throttle combinations and will disappear if either of those variables is changed a bit. If only the actual compressor wheel were louder, and the BPV whistle were quieter, I couldn't be happier with the noises!
Appreciate 0