View Single Post
      05-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #47
RPIpower
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M, G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosspbig View Post
Why will there be a charge to reflash the tune back onto the car if in fact you need to go back to stock for one reason or another? once you tune the car cant you just save the file in case someone needs to flash back to stock for warranty purposes, but wants to go back to the performance ecu they have already paid for??
The standard is $100 to retune the ecu should the dealership need it back to stock. I spoke to the programmers and they said there is no way the dealership can detect the ecu has a performance tune on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
I think its funny when people say that mods like this are too much money. When I see wheels , Exhaust systems, Seats and all kinds of other mods done that do nothing for performance and cost 2 to 3 times this much. I never see anyone saying thats a lot of money. A few hundred buck should not keep you from getting the most out of your engine.

I think for the money its a nice addition and a nice option. I think the lack of people willing to spend money on mods and worry about having there car out of commission for a few days are what keep many tuners from making products for small market like the Z4M cars. We should be embracing these companies not complaining. Remember these are $50k NA cars the performance mods are going to cost a few buck. The R&D that goes into projects like these take lots of sales just to break even on.
Amen brotha! We do a LOT of r&d and its heart breaking when we put a lot of hard work into something and then the product gets knocked off or copied. Are people making minimum wage designing these products? Should the products price reflect how much time was put into it? Those are all things people should consider. You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned tuners not wanting to make things. I am very concerned about making products that I wont be able to sell at a fair price. There are many cars which I refuse to r&d or make products for based on what I see on the forums and how people bicker about pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Bimmer View Post
Will there be any difference in tune for us that have 93 octane at our disposal?

Laidback also made mention of an exhaust.... being that he is working so closely with you guys in all of your R&D is that a hint that there is perhaps an exhaust in the works? I would love to see a grouping of tune, scoops, exhaust for around $2000, and a gain of around 25 whp....
Possibly. If we were to make an exhaust system for this car and testing it the way RPi is known for, the exhaust would sell for around $1200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Bimmer View Post
Oh, and I also read on bimmerfest that the tune is preset for redline to be at 8k rpm's.... is there any way that we could raise that to 8200 rpm's? I believe that is what ESS sets theirs at - I'm not sure if that really makes much sense to do but for whatever reason I get excited at the thought of revving and hearing the engine that extra 300 rpm's...
No reason to go higher redline if the car is not making any more power. for example, one of my project cars stock redline is at 7200rpm. After extensive mods, my new redline is set at 6500rpm. Why? Because power starts to drop off and my car is making a crap load of tq on the bottom end.
Appreciate 0