03-20-2011, 01:36 AM   #41
Shereef_Osman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC & 89 325is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
Nah, it's not that big a difference. The stockies actually aren't all that heavy from what I remember. Unless you do like...14" forged wheels which weigh maybe 10 lbs. each LOL....the difference here isn't so much in the wheels though.
Here's an example:
my 19" TE37's only weigh 19-some lbs. even for the largest wheel out back, which is sized 19x10.5 +22. But the highly-reinforced 19" tire is what kills the overall weight combo. 19" tires look thin, but due to the thinness, they're quite reinforced. So they are actually pretty darn heavy.
Whereas a 14" wheel may be 10lbs. each, and is only 9 lbs. lighter than my wheel only. However, the weight savings is in the tires that mounts up on it. 14" tires LOOK big, but they're probably a ton lighter than my 19" tires =]

So basically most of the difference is in the tires. So just get some nice tires and alignment and a set of "lightweight" (under 20 lbs.) wheels and you'll be set
Maybe it's cause you are running 19s? But every time I switch between my stocks and my APEX track wheels, the feeling is night and day. Stock is somewhere around 24lbs I believe, and the APEX Arc 8s are around 18lbs? Quite a big difference. Can definitely feel it even when just swapping wheels for a track day.

I would say if you are looking for performance over looks, stick with an 18" wheel. BBS RGR and Volk TE37SL are my favourites. APEX Arc8 is a quality wheel as well.
Appreciate 0