View Single Post
      11-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

Painted my chrome surrounds on the kidney grills Imola Red, LOTS of pics warning!

So I wanted to see what it would look like with the grills painted the same color as the body,
I had quite a bit of Imola Red left over since I painted my front reflectors quite some time ago, ---> http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156553

So after seeing a killer deal on a set of grills from a board member I snapped them up and started painting them,
I sanded down the chrome and roughed it up to help the primer adhere,
after a few coats of primer I moved on to color, then finally clear,
Here is how they came out

So then I fitted the black grill inserts to them,

Came out pretty nice huh for a rattle can job!
Key is with painting (and I'm NO expert) is just take your time, don't rush it and coat by coat the finish builds up,
I left each stage (primer, color, clear) overnight on each to harden the paint

So,
How does this look on the car?

Well lets see!

Firstly I'll admit this would look a ton better on a car WITHOUT a friggin front plate,
When I bought the car I made very clear instructions DO NOT mount the front plate bracket!!
You can guess and actually see how much the dealer listened,

( I know I get a little carried away with pictures and take every angle possible, Sorry about that )

Ok so now on to another mod with some pics,
I fitted the OEM front brace to my car and HATED the look of the exposed strut top,
I found these little things lost in a BMW parts bin and up to now they have worked great in hiding the ugly suspension top,

But obviously these had to go with the addition of the strut bar
(which feels awesome, I'd advise any roadster owner to get one, really stiffens up the front end and you really can feel it when you bury the car nose deep in a sharp corner!)

So I found some metal "discs" around the shop, Wouldn't you know it, perfect fit!
So I powdercoated them flat black and slapped a little ///M wheel badge in the center (or as close to center lol, once these things stick thats it!)

I think it came out pretty good!

And finally!

Yes finally,
It was such a nice day out today I went for a little drive, I have also added a ESS tune to my car so taking it for a spin is a pleasure.
Also seeing as I only live two streets away from BMW HQ NA I figured these pics would be appropriate!

I will do a photo tour of BMW NA for the curious on a Sunday as there are some very nice buildings,
They used to keep some "new" BMW's not out yet in the parking lots around the complex but they are keeping them inside underground now a friend of mine who works there told me,

Ok well I hope you enjoyed my pics! I know there's a lot!

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0