View Single Post
      04-11-2018, 01:53 PM   #9
geocu63
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw z4 3.0si

hi I had a 2006 z4 3.0i and now have 3.0si. I replaced the convertible pump motor on the previous z4. when you say convertible top motors, there is just one convertible pump motor that opens and closes the top thats located behind the driver side back quarter between the rear wheel and door and there is another one called latch motor that latches and unlatches the top from the windshield that's mounted to the top. here is the steps I followed to troubleshoot the problem.

1) please check all the fuses related to the top.
2) make sure that the plastic compartment in the trunk(where the top sits when the top is down) is down.
3 ) try to put the top down. the top should unlatch from the windshield and latch back even if the pump motor doesn't work. if nothing happens, go check the microswitch in the trunk cause they break easily and replace it if its broken cause thats the cheapest option.
4) after replacing the switch, if still nothing happens, it might be the latch motor or convertible top module or general module causing the top not to unlatch from the windshield. in my case It was the general module not communicating with the top module, got a used one from eBay and put it in and the top unlatched from the windshield and latched back but the top didnt move. the pump motor made a squeaking noice like trying to open the top but not having enough power. I just went ahead and replaced the pump motor. it worked like charm.
5) when your top latches and unlatches from the windshield, but doesn't move, then replace the pump motor.
hope this helps
Appreciate 0