03-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #74
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower03 View Post
yeah, 900 plus install isn't that bad for what your getting, but like the dinan 2500 plus i don't think it would be worth it. Thats why i want to know on a car that is pretty much around break in period miles would i have to rebuild?
I think you're misunderstanding what happens. If you buy the parts from diffsonline - the gears and ring and pinion - a shop will have to disassemble your differential, remove the original parts, install the new ones, and re-build it.

With the Dinan upgrade, what they essentially do is send you or the shop a differential that's already been rebuilt with the new parts; when your old one comes to them, they rebuild it, shelve it, and wait for someone to order one.

Break-in opinions differ. The new gears will need to mesh, you can expect some filing of metal, and you need a break-in service to change the fluid and remove the initial bits of metal that come off. Some people feel with polished gears like BR got, you don't need to re-do the break-in because the polished gears won't shed any metal filings.

O-cha - iirc, I was charged 5 hours of shop time for the swap.
Appreciate 0