View Single Post
      11-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #19
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan13 View Post
I already know the direction the answers to this question are likely to take, but let's explore.

Finding a lot of options, but almost all of them are automatics. I understand the GM sourced hydra-matic is actually ok. It sounds like if you put it in manual mode, you can hold the gear thru a turn.

Is the automatic ok for track? Can it hold up to the abuse? I found a really nice 2008 British racing green with sport down in Raleigh and I'm out in Dallas looking at 2 in white. But out of all my search so far, only 4 manuals. There is a grey sport with dream red up in NY with manual, but it looks a little suspect.

I know everyone is going to say manual, and I'm not in any particular hurry. Just curious if anyone has any good experience with the auto.
You're not likely to find manual 3.0Si. The vast majority of them are ordered by the dealership with automatic to compliment the fact that you can not buy a Z4M Coupe with automatic (thus automatically, no pun intended, removing more than 90% of the buying populace).

I'd be willing to stake my reputation on there being less than 200 manual 3.0Si in all of North America. They're the fabled unicorns. Those that have one, likely ordered one from the factory with a manual. You will have better luck getting an automatic Si and convert it into a manual if you REALLY want manuals.

Or buy an M.

Having said that. I've know a friend who tracked his automatic 330i for nearly a decade. Never really had any issues with it. The late model automatics are reasonably stout, even for track work. And some would even prefer it because you don't have to worry about shifting, which, for a lot of beginners, is an additional layer of complexity to worry about.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0