View Single Post
      11-06-2015, 01:28 PM   #11
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasZed4MC View Post
All great questions, I can't count how many different cars I have driven during and HPDE. ANY car out there can be a track-able car if its prepared correctly. I have driven a range of cars from a stock Chevrolet Impala SS, every BMW M3 made, Corvette Z06 track package, Porsche GT3 RS, Z4 coupes, Miatas, Z3 Coupes, Mustangs, and Camaros. You stated you have auto-crossed the roadsters, which is a great start but you will still be a NOVICE student on the track. Some things crossover others do not. Being a BMWCCA HPDE chair I have fought the National congress every 2 years for the past 7 years about allowing convertibles on the track, its NOT going to happen. Until you reach the Intermediate level just about anything is great to learn in. Stock brake pads, standard brake fluids, all work well. Learn the correct lines, learn heal toe, learn to be smooth. All of that works with any car. Your concern about consumables is ok, but do you want to learn how to drive on a track or are you more concerned about what parts you are going to replace, if its the parts, stay away from the track. I learned everything in a E30 M3 and parts are high and rare, but its an amazing track car.
As far as the point by comment, that basically is to keep people SAFE. You do NOT pass in corners, and HPDE is NOT A RACE. There are no trophies for fastest laps, no podium presentation at the end of the weekend.
Please send me a PM if you would like to talk in more detail I would be thrilled to help anyone wanting to learn.
Keep trying though! At some point BMWCCA will hopefully catch up with SCCA, CHIN, PCA, etc. that allow verts so long as they have factory roll over protection. It can be either fixed roll bars like the Z4 has or the pop up system like some of the 3 series have.