View Single Post
      12-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #118
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski View Post
You could do it where to default to which ever input is great as that is doing the most i.e. if the driver is giving it 40% throttle and only 10% brake, then the car is still accellerating.

I guess you have to step back and say what are we really trying to see? If we want to see the major thing the driver is doing, then we just need whichever input is greater. That is an easier problem to solve. If we want to see all inputs, then we have to figure something different out. I'm not sure the best way to do that.
I like picking the dominant input when both throttle and brakes are applied outside of the downshift scenario, but better yet let's use longitudinal accel as the arbiter. I'm not sure that comparing the gross values of throttle and brakes will actually identify the dominant input--25% brakes probably trumps 30% throttle, for example--but long accel will. If the car is decelerating beyond a nominal threshold (long acel < say, 0.1), then the brake input is dominant. Otherwise, throttle is dominant. We need the threshold before picking brakes to allow for lifting the throttle, in which case I think that what’s going on with the throttle is the information we’re most interested in. I’ll look at some of Randy’s data to find an appropriate threshold.

I’ll work on constructing the formula, which will get a little bit complex, but testing is going to be the issue. Right now, my left foot is programmed in on-off fashion for the clutch, and so I’m a lousy left-foot braker…

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandysV10 View Post
Sunday turned out to be a great day. Had tons of track time with no traffic, weather couldn't have been better for December. There were times that I had the whole course to myself. Had issues with my in-car camera mount so had to go with the front bumper mount. Here is some video from my 5th run of the day.

Found four seconds! Awesome! And I’m jealous of all that open track. I don’t think I saw another car in your video. Are you going to post some new data up on TrailBrake? Having some comparative data—same car/driver/track would be interesting for folks; we can see where the four seconds came from.

Last edited by MFGJR; 12-20-2011 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0