View Single Post
      04-16-2015, 03:05 PM   #6
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Rick, mate for your next trip, you may need to attack a snorkel to your trusty Bimmer lol.
Love the story about the old board track.. still trying to imagine the tram lining that these cars would have been doing on that track. Love the JD mate, cool story

good job finding the /lost/ grave. and thanks for taking the extra effort to show us your tracks

Do us a favour mate, please make sure your sure footed when tracking around mate, love your journals and would hate you to come unstuck out in the sticks somewhere..

Once more mate, Shotgun for your next entry.
Vanne,

After Jim and I crossed the old railroad bridge with the missing tie in the middle, he looked over the side and said, "Well, there's enough water down there that it probably would have broken our fall!"

Notwithstanding assorted bridge escapades, I actually do try to be pretty careful. And I appreciate your concern--after all, I want to keep making these trips for many years to come!

One of the big hazards of board track racing was actually splinters! Many of the car crashes (and all of the motorcycle crashes) involved the driver sliding along the track, and stories of 4-inch long splinters were not uncommon. Still, that would have been better than crashing through the flimsy guardrail at the top of the banking and going right over the edge.

Despite all of the dangers, the Atlantic City Speedway had no fatalities and only a small number of injuries during its admittedly brief history.

As for riding shotgun, let me know the next time you're in the States!

Rick
Appreciate 0