04-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #27
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by car62 View Post
These are fine educated statements made by persons who obviously have a lot of knowledge in this area. Nevertheless, the real world data collected by Car and Driver indicated that, comparing identical brand wheels and tires (19 vs 18), the 18 inch versions had better acceleration, better roadholding, better ride, better fuel mileage, lower total (wheel + tire) weight, and lower total cost.
You continue to miss the details, and make "misleading" statements in the process.

I believe this is the magazine comparison you are referring to?

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...sted-tech_dept

Let's look at the details:

1. They are comparing 18"x8.0" rims with 19"x8.5" which have 225/40/18 and 235/35/19 tires on them. So this is an apples to oranges comparison. The 19" rim and tires are wider, which is most likely where the 3 lb weight difference in the total weight is coming from.

2. I already referenced some specific 18" vs 19" setup that weigh pretty much the same at the same rim model, tire model, rim width, tire width, and rolling diameter. (I am not claiming that is the case for all rim brands as in some case manufacturers increase the loading specs on the 19" rims as they are more likely to be used on a heavier car).

3. Despite the apples to oranges comparison, the C&D data show no difference in acceleration figures between the 18" and 19" setups they test. 0-60 in 7.9s, and 1/4 mile 16.1s @ 86 mph for both setups. The only minor difference is in the 0-100mph, which is 23.3s vs 23.4s. That's just noise.

#3 above supports what I've been saying all along (despite the apples to oranges comparison).

I never made any claims about ride quality, handling or cost.