View Single Post
      03-08-2018, 08:36 AM   #7
jns_e85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 X3 2.5i, '06 z4M, '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
There is no intake baffle in the airbox. There is a charcoal filter in the lower half of the airbox that is actually used as part of the emissions system, and below that there is a mesh screen that has to do with laminar air flow into the intake. Removing either of those will not get you +10 HP, and will probably mean a decrease.

The only other thing I can think of that the poster could be referencing is found behind the front left (driver) grill. Rather than having a straight air path or ram air path, BMW actually installed a plastic cup they call a deflector. This deflector "cup" pulls air into the intake likely from a low pressure area behind the grill. The air opening is facing up. Some aftermarket solutions like the RPI scoop and the Eventuri intake scoop remove this deflector "cup" and replace it with a scoop that pushes more air into the intake at speeds above 45 MPH. Some think the deflector was used to prevent water intrusion into the intake, or to pull from a low pressure zone.

Intake Air Deflector
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/13717519243/

Salty
^WHS, this is probably what the poster on BAT was referring to. FWIW, I removed mine after I bought my eventuri intake secondhand (which didn't have the scoop) and didn't notice a change

2017 M2 - Camber Hubs, MPE, and some other goodies
2006 Z4M - Epic Tune / Eventuri CAI / Euro Headers / Stromung / FA 500 / AS SSK / Arc 8s
2004 Z4 3.0i - Gone, but not forgotten!
Appreciate 0