View Single Post
      05-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
RecycledTeen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E85

Hmmm, I guess I would describe a "good" sounding motor as one that still "whirs" strong and steady instead of like it's struggling, going in and out when you try to use it, but still nothing moves.

From what I could tell, these motors/pumps are very well built and unless they're corroded to hell (i.e., from water collecting and shorting it out), if they're doing "something" when power is applied (making a "normal" sound as before when working well) they still work and it could very well be something else in the system as I discovered - a leak resulting in being too low on fluid for it to work. Once I filled it back up and cycled it a few times, it was able to pressurize the lines enough to move things and hence, the leaking actuator (bracket) was discovered. My guess is it leaked slowly enough before for the PO to notice it and then the top just "stopped working" one day. When I got it (X number of months/years after that point), there was no evidence of a leak until I tore into it.

Your locking/unlocking still works because the components that indicate the position your top is in is telling those locking actuators to function accordingly (what switch you press). The motor runs in sync at each point, hence the continued "sound" after the latches unlock. As already noted in other threads, only way to tell is to get that thing out of there and inspect it.
Appreciate 0