View Single Post
      04-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFGJR View Post
I plan to go to 245s on stock wheels up front soon, and I'm worried about clearance between the inner sidewall and the strut, as it seems pretty tight already with the 225s, courtesy of the shims altering the angle at which the kingpin bolts to the strut. I need to find a four post lift to get it in the air to see what it looks like with the suspension compressed, but in the meantime, I was wondering what you think about your clearance. (I guess if you added the camber at the top of the strut, rather than shimming, the issue doesn't exist.)
I run 245/40R18 NT05s up front with about -2.5 camber shimmed with no issues. Granted, I'm on 8.5ET35 wheels, but it's only +1mm inside clearance. I'm betting you'll be fine on stock wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Ship, have you considered Nitto NT05s?
If a good amount of the wear/use expected in on the track, and you drive the truck in the cold/wet anyway, I'd lean towards tires that have a compound and tread pattern more equipped to deal with the stresses of track driving (and hold up under those conditions) and which will give better performance on the track as well. The only downside to a tire like the NT05 or Star Spec is that they are absolutely not to be used in the cold/wet (by cold I mean 40 degrees or under).
+2 on the NT05s. Haven't tested them on the track yet but at around $720 shipped at the time, don't think they can be beat for the price. Not to many opportunities to put them to the test around town, but they've felt incredibly planted on off-ramps the few times I took them aggressively. Will report back after this weekend at the track.

Had to drive on a cold rainy day once (around 40 degrees) and by no means did I drive all that aggressively, but they were fine and got me home in one piece.
Appreciate 0